Introduction and New Composite Ops - Hard light and Soft Light

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Thu Sep 6 17:49:07 CEST 2007

On Thursday 06 September 2007 15:57, Warren Baird wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> As a bit of background, I'm a photographer who creates images by
> layering several photographs together with various compositing modes to
> produce interesting textures and patterns.   You can see some of my
> stuff at http://www.synergisticimages.ca (warning, some of the images
> there might be NSFW).

<pout>I get a network error here.</pout>

> I know Krita is more focused on 'creative' work than a project like
> gimp, but I'm not sure whether what I do really hits the use cases you
> are trying to target.

My feeling is that anything that gives a user more possibilities to mess with
their work is a Good Thing, provided we can pour it into a user interface
design that doesn't stop people from creating new stuff. Adding new composite
ops fits in completely with that purpose.

> I've been a Gimp user for years - but I'm starting to get fed up waiting
> for 16b support, and I'd like to start making full use of the RAW mode
> on my camera.
>
> I'll probably kick in some comments about how my particular form of
> creativity is impacted by various design decisions.  Feel free to tell
> me if my comments are far enough from your target use cases so to be
> irrelevant.

They probably won't be: after all, the collage is a traditional part of oil
painting by now :-)

> I also worked as a software developer for 10 years, mostly doing C++
> development on UNIX and Linux.   I don't have much time for coding these
> days, but I'll try to submit patches now and again.

That would be insanely cool :-)

> In this case, I've got a patch that adds composite ops that match the
> Gimp's Hard Light and Soft Light modes, which I make heavy use of.
>
> The question I have is:  Should I submit these against the 1.6 tree or
> the 2.0 tree?   Or both, I guess?

Yippee! Patches! Against 2.0 for inclusion in future releases: but I'd like a
patch against 1.6, too, in case we do another release of that -- given the
current set of delays, I don't think it too unlikely.