Color selector

david powell achiestdragon at whipy.demon.co.uk
Thu Oct 18 20:14:03 CEST 2007

actualy i seem to like them at the moment , size is a problem though
for those with low res desktops

from a user point of view speed of being able to do a task is more important

in other words having to hit 3 or 4 different buttons to get the desired
result repeatedly is not good

maybe what would be a good idea is to have a flip tool view /drawing view

the tool view would let you have almost all the screen aria for colour / brush
and style options , letting you just filp to it change something and filp
back

although the use of combo boxes makes everything visible all the time its at
the expence of using large amounts of screen real estate ,

although i like the current interface looks from a user point of view working
full screen and swiching to a tool view to change something is a faster
working method for imaging

with a flip screen its also faster to find the property you want to adjust
be it colour or brush shape and opacity , then flip back ,,

now obviously there needs to be a quick and obvious way to flip
but it would also remove the problem your discussing about the size of the
current one ,

i do find the current system leaves little on screen drawing area  even on
this 24" 1920*1200 lcd monitor remebering the average pc atm is 1240*1024

i also tend to work on photographs at 3696*2464 ~9M pixels

i seem to remeber it was neopaint and a few others  back in the early 80's
that used a flip screen view setup as an option ,, because of screen space
problems

secondly this would provide some other usefull advantages both from usibilay
and speed

usabilaty /.

haveing options on display aids the user in finding them , hide them in some
sub menu and some users may never even find they exist

it also saves the user having to search though nearly all the menus to find
the option ( remeber a lot of people would use this occasionaly  so may have
to relearn where they are each time )

blender if you have tried it is a pita , takes you 2 months to learn all the
commands and if you have to leave it for a while you find you spend another
few trying to relearn it , not to mention an almost imposible to figure out
GUI , that program would be good with a new front end
anyway

speed/.

when drawing and yes 3 to 4 hrs maybe more in one go , the fact that
you know what option you want to change , but  say

you want to change the brush shape/ size ,, and the opacity  , draw a bit ,
change the colour , and drawing mode , then revert back , eather
you have to use quite a lot of screen space or end up having to search though
menus for them
so that requires quite a few mouse clicks and time spent searching menus

it also allows for all the options to be set and room for more functions
like
saved brush presets
colour mixing
stroke control :)

i used to do a lot of autocad work , using a tablet with a option  template on
the tablet could save over 50% of the time doing the same drawing using a
mouse and menus

Dave(AchiestDragon)

--
my personal website