Color selector

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Thu Oct 18 19:10:16 CEST 2007

On Thursday 18 October 2007, Cyrille Berger wrote:

> About the dialog:
>  - hsv in the big color dialog is a good thing

For comparison purposes: http://www.valdyas.org/~boud/colorpicker_ps.png.

The purpose of the big color picker is to select a particular color
accurately. We should define working spaces for the color spaces show in the
docker: that means that we need to add options for default profiles for
hsv(?), rgb, lab and cmyk in our preferences dialog. The big color picker
should have a gamut warning ico. Only hsv, rgb and lab should be selectable
using the color field and slider; hsv, rgb, lab and cmyk should be settable
numerically. It should be possible to easily find the nearest color from a
given out-of-gamut color.

The big color picker should be a docker window that is not shown by default
and when enabled floats by default until docked for the first time by the
user, and it should be a dialog that pops up when the color button is
(double?) clicked.

>  - we cannot do without cmyk but it should be more related to the current
> CMYK color space if the current paint device is in a CMYK, not to some
> random default

Yes -- so we should define a default profile for cmyk in our settings.

> About the docker(s):
>  - a smaller hsv-based color selector with history for the default docker
> (with a square, circle or triangle color area ?)

And this docker should have a history section. Something like:
http://www.valdyas.org/~boud/hsvdocker.png would be great. But I guess that
we cannot get that done before 2.0.

>  - the big color selector can stay as a docker, but should not be the
> default one
>  - and we need a third docker with a color selector dedicated to the
> current color space (especially for special case like YCbCr), with sliders
> for each of the components

Yes. That could be either a docker on its own, like the palette docker, or a
second tab to the hsv color picker.

> So if you have opinion or thoughts on the subject, or use cases, we are all
> open to hear them !

Of course, all this doesn't mean that we don't need the paint mixer docker
mixing green again before our release!