Brush spacing / rotate / scale

Moritz Moeller mnm at dneg.com
Thu Nov 15 19:26:15 CET 2007

Matthew Woehlke wrote:

> On that note, how come we even have separate rectangular and elliptical
> brushes, and not just rounded rectangles (where 100% round makes it an
> ellipse)?

I agree.
And on that note: may I suggest we use a superellipse shape for the
brush? This one any shape between a perfect circle/an ellipse and a
perfect square/a rectangle.
You just get one more slider 'Roundness'.
Roundness 0 is perctly sharp edges, 1 is perfectly round. In-between is
kinda a rectangle with nicely rounded corners (nicely = C2 continuous,
not just C1 as arcs joined wioth straight lines would be).
A negative roundness then allows star shapes as well.
See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superellipse

I have the implicit form of the equations as well, which would probably
be ideal for rendering a bitmap (with smooth edges) of such a brush.

.mm