paint-brush visualisation

Thomas Zander zander at kde.org
Thu May 24 15:14:04 CEST 2007

On Wednesday 23 May 2007 13:29:50 Thomas Zander wrote:
> I gave some explanation of how I thought things could look, but I know
> that text is a bad way to convey visual ideas.
> So this morning I spent a couple of hours whipping up a example that
> shows what I mean.

sorry, totally forgot to give a proper intro.
As there is no actual paint transfer done its not going to be immediately
obvious whats what.

 The point of the V is the point where the stem (and your tablet point)
touches the medium. But like in real brushes the hairs are trailing it
and doing the actual paint transfer.  That process is shown with
the 'beak' of the V shape.

Note
a) pressing harder widens the beak of the V.
b) moving from left to right will make the brush hairs trail the stem,
just like real brush hairs do.
c) when you move opposite the direction of the current hairs, for example
after moving from left to right and then suddenly moving from right to
left. Then the natural manner of working is that the hairs don't rotate
around, they 'flip' underneath.  I tried to emulate that as well.

Last note; this is certainly not meant to be a perfect brush emulation. It
took me one morning to whip this up, don't expect perfection ;)

--
Thomas Zander