protection masks and selections

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Sat May 19 18:03:33 CEST 2007

On Saturday 19 May 2007, Casper Boemann wrote:

> > > What the selection defines just as today. Only problem is that it won't
> > > take protection masks into account.
> > >
> > > I chose the deprecation road rather than just reuse selectedness() to
> > > make sure we change every place that uses selectedness() to indicate
> > > writabillity.
> >
> > Well anyway, if we agree that selection serves for read and
> > write-protection, and that when we might want a different behaviour, it
> > creates a new layer, then the problem is solved by itself :D
>
> my thought exactly - now we only need the agreement of boudewijn and other
> interested parties

Sure getting rid of either the protection mask _or_ the difference between
read, write and read/write selections is fine with me. Moving the selected
pixels to another layer in the transform tool or similar is fine with me too.
If, Especially, and only, the selection on the original layer is kept intact.
That is, if I rotate a selection and the rotated pixels arrive on another
layer, I want to be able to go back and delete the original pixels.