Initial project for GSoC

Cyrille Berger cberger at cberger.net
Tue May 15 16:10:16 CEST 2007

On Tuesday 15 May 2007, Emanuele Tamponi wrote:
> Hello people,
> I'll try to explain what I want to do to achieve my soc project.
> It's not a pondered decision, it's just what I'm thinking about after
> reading some papers.
>
> My question, through all the post, is: "Is Krita design compatible with
> this?"
>
> I'll try to implement the Van Laerohen model: it's a 3-layer canvas
> structure that updates every dt seconds.
> Every update will apply the changes to the layers, and render the canvas
> contents to the screen.
>
> This can be achieved with Overlays (right?).
>
> This implementation is what I called "Physics filter for drying and
> running paint".
>
> The paintop thingie is a bit more challenging.
> The paintop has to be able to get the input from tablet, read the status
> of the canvas, and communicate
> the result of his computation to the canvas (with "canvas" I'm referring
> to the van laerohen's model).
good :) that's exactly what the paintop can do, it get input from the tablet
and have full access to the paint device.

> The model assures that the paintop code will not interfere with the
> overlay behavior since it's just about
> "setting" the initial conditions to the canvas.
Which overlay ? I mean the canvas can be affected by how hard you press your
brush, and if you have a water "overlay", it needs to get new water from your
brush.

> The color mixer is just a "painterly tool". Do we want to be able to use
> it only with the painterly paintop,
> or we want a less "painterly" behavior? In my opinion, the better thing
> is giving to the user an interface exactly like
> the "palette" of an artist. So the color mixer would be strictly related
> to the paintop, and will use something
> like the 3-layer structure of the overlay.
>
> But, well, the color mixer needs to be reviewed, I'm not too convinced
> about it.
did you have a look at the color mixel of corel painter ? (see
http://www.amazon.com/Corel-Painter-IX-5-Painting-Illustration/dp/B00030CBXQ)

You have a "painterly" tool for mixing the color, a spatula to push color, and
color picker which is used to select the color.
Instead of a color picker, using the same paintop on the palette and the real
canvas might be better.

--
Cyrille Berger