Resize/Rescale image/layer in Krita 2.0

Casper Boemann cbr at boemann.dk
Tue May 8 14:12:24 CEST 2007

On Tuesday 08 May 2007 13:51, Cyrille Berger wrote:
> - keep the current way with a swiss-knife dialog which do everything but
> that would be extended to include positionning of the image when resizing
That is defnitely not the way to go. I've spent the last two days going this
over in my mind (andon paper), on how to divide the dialogs.

However you don't seem to get the scope of our problem. It's not just about
resize/rescale anymore. Now with physical size entering the picture it's much
more complicated.

More on that below.

> - split the above dialog, with the advantage to have lighter dialog
That is what I've tried to do. And I must say that the division done by
photoshop is the most logical one. Which is canvas size in one dialog (aka
resize) and image size in another (apprx. rescale)

> - use tools, and have the resize/rescale tool show parameters, it's quiet
cool
> because there is a preview for free, it's non modal, on the other it might
> looks slow (for rescale), and the main inconvenient is that people are used
> to see entry menu with those items (but maybe those entry can switch to the
> correct tool ? Or users can RTFM ;p )
I don't think we should have rescale as part of the tool. First of there is
not really anything for the user to see. You define a new size and the image
is scaled. Except for artifact it looks the same. This is much better done in
a dialog, and in the dialog it will be possible to take care of all the
complexities of having resolution and physical size.

Now for resize I'm much more positive about the tool idea. I like the idea of
direct manipulation and direct feedback.  And I think it is very obvious that
this will tie in with the crop tool very well. In both cases it's the edges
of the new canvas that you are manipulating.

The downside of doing it with a tool is also that the tool option widget is
not that big. We need 6 numeric inputs (with ways to select the unit) and we
also need to be able to select how the padding should be filled and if the
layers should be actually cropped or just lie outside the canvas.

I have a hard time making up my mind on the tool idea. It's new and different
and deserves some serious thought.

--
best regards / venlig hilsen
Casper Boemann