Krita and LAB

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Wed Mar 14 21:01:59 CET 2007

On Wednesday 14 March 2007, Steve Thompson wrote:
> Boudewijn -
>
> On 3/14/07, Boudewijn Rempt <boud at valdyas.org> wrote:
> > Eek, yes... Could I trouble you for the original file & the .kra file in
> > lab format, so I can experiment and see what's going on? Nice photo, btw
> > :-)
>
> I've attached the original.  I didn't create a .kra for it, but I
> attached an image of the kind of LAB adjustment I applied to the a and
> b channels.  Let me know what you come up with, as working with LAB in
> Krita is such a pleasure.

I cannot recreate exactly your effect, but I noticed the following: if I
convert to rgb I lose some of the sparkle, too, but that depends on the rgb
profile I use. By default (stupid default, our bad), the Adobe RGB profile is
selected when you convert to rgb. Much better results can be had with the
lcms internal sRGB profile. (This is logical, since Adobe RGB is a pretty bad
profile, for fun & kicks, create a white image and then switch to Adobe RGB
as your display profile.)