krita 1.6 SVN branch: Problems with bumpmap and previewwidget

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Mon Mar 5 08:52:47 CET 2007

On Sunday 04 March 2007, Schleimer, Ben wrote:
> Hi all,
>   I've been trying to debug the bumpmap filter and make it work again and I
> started with why the preview didn't show up in the preview dialog. After
> much playing with ddd, I found that in kis_filter_manager.cc line 352, the
> original device is set in the preview widget -> creates a scaled
> previewdevice with m_parentLayer set to NULL.
> (KisPreviewWidget::zoomChanged line 203) This is a problem because bumpmap
> filter tries to query src's m_parentLayer for the image it belongs to and
> the preview device doesn't belong to any layer.

Is this in 1.6? I've just tried the bumpmap filter and it does preview the
bumpmapped image correctly after pressing the button -- the big problem is
that the layer names aren't in a combobox but have to be typed in by hand in
the bumpmap layer box.

> The obvious solution would be to set the preview's parent layer to the
> original's parent layer but that won't work either because the preview is
> scaled down from the original's size and the filters implicitly assume that
> the src and dst sizes are the same.
>
> The correct solution would be to have the previewwidget build a temporary
> image from the original, filter that and then scale it down to the preview
> widgets size during each preview. I talked to BCoppens and he indicated
> that this is how KisPreviewWidget used to work but was changed because of
> performance problems. Is there any way to go back to the original behavior
> and optimize the scaling performance?

I don't think we ever created a complete scaled down copy of the image stack
for the layer preview. But my recollection may be wrong.