How to Use Krita?!?!? PLEASE EXPLAIN & HELP

tim covell ziklag01 at rochester.rr.com
Sun Jun 24 22:22:01 CEST 2007

Please help.  I have an asinine school project to do which requires
fancy graphics.  Here's what I want to figure out to do on Krita
(or gimp for that matter).  These programs seem to full of bells
and whistles, but I cannot figure out how to use them.  Here's
what I want to do.

Put images a, b, c, & d on top of another image in the image of
a graph.

	Background is a Velocity v. Time graph

	At each of the (v,t) points on my graph I want to place
	funny clip-arts having to deal with Physics (cannon firing,
	guy falling out of plane, etc.)

So, stupid me, I put the big graph on layer 1.  Then I put
the other pictures on layers 2, 3, 5, etc.  But, HOW IN THE
WORLD do you move the pictures (layers,2-4)into the right place
because when you import a picture into a new layer, that layer
is only as big as that picture, not the whole BIG picture.
Truly, this should be incredibly simple to do.  I can't even
figure out how to move the image.  Surely it should be as
simple as selecting it and then clicking on the selection and
moving it, right?? Both Gimp and Krita seem make it so incredibly
cryptic, nay impossible, that I'm about ready to shoot my computer!
My project is due on Monday (tomorrow).

Sorry to be angry, but it's this total lack of usability which
makes it hard for me to laud Linux v. Microsoft.  Actually,
my dad thinks that he might be able to figure out how to do
this on Amipro under Windows 95 (go figure, an ancient program!).
Still, it would be nice to know how to do something as simple as
this because this is the whole point of having GUIs right??
(Perhaps, if it can be done, you could put THIS in the manual?)
It's called a "desktop" because you're supposed to be able to move
things around on it and place things on top of other things.  Surely
any real image manipulation program will be able to do this.
Alas, all I can get Gimp and Krita to do is make silly gradients
and such.  Hey, I could do that with "Display/Image Magick".

Sorry to be acerbic, but this school project is moronic and
if I don't get it done this week I'll fail this class and
lose thousands of dollars in my university investment.

TIA!!!

--
Peace,

tim covell