Vector/Shape Selection

Sven Langkamp sven.langkamp at gmail.com
Tue Jun 12 15:55:15 CEST 2007

On 6/12/07, Cyrille Berger <cberger at cberger.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > I have commited a prototype of the new shape selection.
> looks cool :)
Thanks :) Maybe I can't keep the QPainterPath marching ants as they
are now, as Qt seems to have some serious problem with this kind of
paths.

> > Boud and Thomas criticised that too many shape could get overwhelming
> > and confuse the user.
> yes especially for rectangles which are created inside the selection, I was
> little bit surprised at first by them "appearing".
It wouldn't be a problem to hide the shapes, but that would make
selecting them more difficult, I think.

> > Some other questions:
> > Should the shape selection use KoPathShape only or should it be
> > possible to use e.g. rectangle (for rounded corners) and circle
> > shapes?
> Well for me, the KoPathShape is enought, most of the time when I have a
> selection, I first create it with the "fill selection" tool or with the
> magnetic outline tool, and then I use the "paint on selection tool" to
> adjust
> localy the selection. I could imagine that with a path selection, I could
> just drag the border. *But*, I have seen quiet a few tutorials (for instance
> for creating buttons for web site) that starts by creating a selection,
> using
> the rectangle/elipse tool, so I guess that having the possibility to edit
> the
> rectangles/circles is a good idea.
In the path tool it's just one click to convert to path.

> > Should the shapes be in the global shape manger (which is at the
> > moment layers only)?
> > Should the shapes be visible inside the layerbox?
> They should be visibles as a selection.
>
> > Another idea: Is it usefull to have add and subtract shapes?
> I think so.
>
> And I have an other question:
> How shapes selection are going to play with the pixel selections ? Are we
> going to have KisSelection be some sort of GroupLayer which can contains
> pixels layer and shapes layer ? Is the rectangle/circle tool allways going
> manipulate shape selection ?
I want to have KisSelection as a projection of the pixel and the
vector selection. At the moment I looking how to do that without
breaking the whole api. KisSelection needs an extra mask for the pixel
selection and a shape manager for the shape.
Only selection tools will know the difference. Rectangle and ellipse
tool need something in the option widget to switch between pixel and
vector.

Shapes will be manipulated by the flake interaction tool and the path tool.