Krita use in VFX

Moritz Moeller mnm at dneg.com
Mon Jun 11 15:35:50 CEST 2007

Hello,

I'm a TD working in the feature film visual effects industry.
Currently, most places in this industry which are Linux-based (the
majority of the bigger places) use either Shake (or another compositing
app with a paint module) or Cinepaint if they want to modify 32bit float
images on that OS.

I'd like to see more use of Krita, of course! :)
The fact that Krita has built-in colour management is a big plus for
starters. Although I couldn't find any docs on how to add custom
profiles. Custom profiles are an absolute must in my industry since we
often have a show-specific profile that matches the stock the film was
shot on or a particular target profile the monitors in a a facility have
been calibrated for.

The next good thing is OpenEXR support. However, Krita strips comments
embedded into EXR file when saving them again. Thereby breaking most
high-end VFX pipelines that depend on such metadata to be available
throughout the process to identify where an image came from, who worked
on it and what its purpose was and whatnot.

Lastly I found that certain very common TIFF flavours (common in my
industry) make Krita crash when one tries to open them.

So I guess my question is: where can I log feature requests and report
bugs? On this list or is there a better place?

Cheers,

Moritz