Vector/Shape Selection

Sven Langkamp sven.langkamp at gmail.com
Mon Jun 11 01:54:48 CEST 2007

Hi,

I have commited a prototype of the new shape selection. A discussion
on irc showed me that there are quite different expectations how the
shape selection should work.

How to try it:
Select a paint layer (and don't create a shape layer previously as
that doesn't work)
Select some (overlapping) rectangles with the rectangle selection tool

The rectangle selection tool will create a flake shape, which you can
be modified with the standard shape tools.

Boud and Thomas criticised that too many shape could get overwhelming
and confuse the user. The proposed solutions for this were
auto-merging shapes and grouping of shape.
Auto-merging has advantage that it can be done automatically without
user interaction, while grouping has to be done by the user.

So what should be used?

Some other questions:
Should the shape selection use KoPathShape only or should it be
possible to use e.g. rectangle (for rounded corners) and circle
shapes?

Should the shapes be in the global shape manger (which is at the
moment layers only)?
Should the shapes be visible inside the layerbox?

Another idea: Is it usefull to have add and subtract shapes?

I hope it's clearer now.

Sven