GPL v2+, GPL v2, GPL v3, LGPL v2, LGPL v2+ ?

Cyrille Berger cberger at cberger.net
Tue Sep 5 22:55:33 CEST 2006

Hi,

Some of you might (some have) noticed that I have moved some of my new files
in 1.6 to GPL v2 (instead of v2+) for the simple reason that I don't like the
GPL v3 (I allready think that the GPL v2 is imposing too much restriction),
but as pointed out by Bart, the GPL v3 is incompatible with v2, so that would
mean that this change prevent any use of GPL v3 in krita. (while I don't see
this as a big problem, I would hate to see krita be released under GPL v3).

After some discution on irc, it seems that LGPL v2 might be the right licence
for my code. While I still have some concern/questions left unanswered about
it that I will sort out by asking the fsf directly, it's very likely that I
will change the licence of all my new files to LGPL v2 between 1.6 and 2.0.

--
--- Cyrille Berger ---