tiles & memory

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Wed Oct 11 23:13:25 CEST 2006

Just discussed on irc, and for the record:

I propose an addition to KisPaintDevice (and the underlying datamanager):

bool lockRegionInMemory(QRect)
bool unlockRegion(QRect)

both, of course, thoroughly mutexed so we're prepared for multi-threading. The
idea is that the datamanager would keep the region in memory so, for
instance, the convolution painter can work with pointers instead of
laboriously copying the memory.

Relatedly: let's set the minimum number of tiles (64x64xchannelsxchanneldepth
bytes) to at least 1000, and let's not allow the user to specify a value
lower than that. Krita is an image editor, not a postage stamp editor!