koffice/libs/store

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Sun Nov 26 20:39:29 CET 2006

On Sunday 26 November 2006 17:07, Ariya Hidayat wrote:
> > I'm wondering: how hard would it be to use this compression for Krita's
> > tiles? Those are 64x64 pixels of 1 or 32 bytes. Especially for our undo
> > tile cache, compression might save a ton of memory. But on the other
> > hand, maybe the chunks are too small to compress nicely.
>
> 256 bytes sound possible to me. Perhaps Wilson-Kaplan algorithm is
> better here than Lempel-Ziv.
>
> The best is if you send couple of memory dumps of those tiles that I
> can play with.

This is a fairly typical example of a file we work with in Krita. Imagine that
when applying a filter all tiles in the entire layer are saved as undo
information -- the layer unzipped is 40 mb, the tgz'ed tiles separate 9mb.

http://www.valdyas.org/~boud/tiles.tgz
http://www.valdyas.org/~boud/Portrait.kra