Floating point color in Krita

Mikhail Lyossin mlesin at gmail.com
Fri Nov 17 18:56:59 CET 2006

On 11/17/06, Bart Coppens <kde at bartcoppens.be> wrote:

> On Friday 17 November 2006 18:04, Mikhail Lyossin wrote:
> > The better choice for all of  us would be to have some switch in options
> > which would allow to use anyone any representation he likes.
> I'm not sure about that, sounds a bit confusing, no?

What's wrong with that? I mean only interface representation to the user in
color selector module.
So, for example, if color is stored as floating point, user may see it's
numbers in all possible forms, such as Integer 8 and 16 bit, Percentage, and
Floating point, of course.

> The only
> > requirement is to provide ability for the user to set out-of-gamut
> colors,
> > like negative or very large numbers in any mode to avoid occasional
> color
> > clamping, I think.
> Actually, does lcms have an out-of-gamut-check function? I looked at that
> once, but could only find a parameter so that lcms would change out of
> gamut
> colors to another color. Not quite what I had in mind...

Here is a difference between "warning that you already lost" and "keeping
out of gamut values".
Unfortunately, not every colorspace definition allows to keep these colors,
but this talk makes sense at least for RGB8bit_Int - RGB16bit_Int -
RGB16bit_Float - RGB32bit_Float colorspaces.