Scaling algorithms in Krita Bad (at least at downscaling)

Sander Koning sanderkoning at kde.nl
Sat Nov 11 20:50:56 CET 2006

Bart Coppens wrote on 2006-11-11 19:07 +0100 regarding Re: Scaling algorithms in Krita Bad (at least at downscaling):
> As said by pippin on #koffice:
> <pippin> interpolation is wrong when scaling down, I think I've stated that
> here two or three times,..
> <pippin> bilinear uses 4 source pixels/destination pixel, when scaling to 10%
> that means discarding 96% of the image data (using 4 instead of at
> <pippin> interpolation only works for filling in data between existing data
> points, the other form of resampling is usually called decimation (though
> that would be the nearest neighbour approach if the word is taken literally)
> <pippin> decimation  n : destroying or killing a large part of the population
> (literally every tenth person as chosen by lot)

:)

Resampling by just taking the average of points 1 to N, then N+1 to 2N, etc.,
should already be a better solution.

--
Sander Koning  (askie)   |   sanderkoning - at - kde -.- nl
KDE Nederland            |   http://www.kde.nl/