Tiles, Mmap and Crashing

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Thu Mar 30 16:05:19 CEST 2006

On Thu, 30 Mar 2006, Bart Coppens wrote:

> Would anyone object to us having a pixelPtrSafe, returning some kind of Shared
> Pointer to the data, that ensures data availability as well? Since 1.6 isn't
> allowed to remove methods, the old functions can't disappear. (Or if you have
> a better idea, please shout!).

Mark the old functions that give a direct pointer as deprecated; I really want
a Chinese wall between the real memory and the coder. So, I'd say add a readPixel
and writePixel that will return and write a copy of a real pixel, analogous to
readBytes and writeBytes (which shouldn't use the iterators like the they now,
but be implemented at the lowest possible level.

Btw: we need to think about how we can get pixels really fast into textures for
our future OpenGL fun :-). Perhaps an iterator that returns blocks of pixels: copies
of tiles or something like that.

Boudewijn