siox and lab

Michael Thaler michael.thaler at physik.tu-muenchen.de
Wed Mar 29 10:10:19 CEST 2006

Hi,

Gimp's siox tool uses L*A*B for the internal representation of pixels. It
basically transforms the pixels to L*A*B for its internal uses. The struct
for a pixel looks like the following:

typedef struct
{
  gfloat l;
  gfloat a;
  gfloat b;
  gint   cardinality;
} lab;

(I think cardinality is for the siox tool).

Krita on the other hand uses

struct Pixel {
        quint16 lightness;
        quint16 a;
        quint16 b;
        quint16 alpha;
    };

So now I could either port the routines from gimp to convert RGB to lab or
introduce a new  L*A*B colorspace that uses

typedef struct
{
  gfloat l;
  gfloat a;
  gfloat b;
} lab;

I think the second choice would definitely be better. Does it make sense to
write a whole colorspace or is this overkill? Does lcms support L*A*B with
floating point numbers?

Greetings,
Michael