[Inkscape-devel] Re: OpenDocument. Was: Photoshop PSD 6 format Spec / Gimp XCF format Spec

Alexandre Prokoudine alexandre.prokoudine at gmail.com
Fri Mar 3 11:32:30 CET 2006

On 3/3/06, Jaroslaw Staniek wrote:

> I have feeling that packaging graphics "document" in a zip file is overkill
> _similar_ to doing that with database "document", in terms of saving/loading
> time and disk space needed for loading/saving. Think about _large_ documents.

I already thought about it. Yep, once you have a 500 MByte large file
you will have to wait a lot until all data is repacked. But that
mostly depends on level of compression, doesn't it?

> I'd like to propose use well documented binary format, e.g. using Binary XML.
>
> http://www.w3.org/TR/xbc-use-cases/#intro

Binary sounds very unrepairable to my ears :), but it needs further
investigation

> Or, any chances to join forces with GIMP and their XCF format?

Actually, we started from that :)

Alexandre