Kritacolor library re-licensing

Thomas Zander zander at kde.org
Fri Jun 23 13:57:50 CEST 2006

On Friday 23 June 2006 13:29, Michael Thaler wrote:
> Hi,

Hi Michael :)

> khtml is lgpl and it seems to work quite well. O.K., it is not the
> perfect example, because there were lots of quarrels between the
> OpenSource community and Apple, but I think at the end it turned out
> well.

In the case of Nokia and Apple the core needed extending, and we don't
care about the software that links to it. Khtml is, after years, still
very much a work in progress where we accept any help we can get.
I'm not so sure that these variables mirror on Krita very well. (or any
KOffice app, for that matter)

> Personally I am completely fine with the GPL, but I think Cyrille has a
> point. In an ideal world all Krita plugins would be Open Source, but if
> we want companies to write plugins for Krita, it would probably better
> to find a way that closed source Plugins can be used with Krita.

That brings me back to the question I posted to Cyrille earlier, which is
left unanswered;
> Making the conclusion that companies want to sell plugins for gimp
> instead of for krita, right?  Why is that a problem, exactly?

Why is it a problem when there are companies that want to sell
closed-source plugins for Krita, making money off of our hard work?
Do we really need those companies to make Krita a success?

Before you answer; search for photoshop plugins and note how many there
are which are created by professional companies versus versions that are
shareware or any of the other almost-free licenses that are common on
Windows. Also note that Gimp has plenty of plugins.

Jumping to the conclusion that we will not have plugin writers _because_
of the license seems premature. I don't see any evidence of that.
And I think that should be well established before any suggestion is made
to change the license.

--
Thomas Zander