Kritacolor library re-licensing

Cyrille Berger cberger at cberger.net
Thu Jun 22 08:51:14 CEST 2006

> 1. Do you really want to prevent a closed-source application from simply
> linking to the Krita graphics library?
yes that's what they want

> 2. Isn't it sufficient to just keep the Krita graphics library open but
> allow closed-source apps to link?
that's what I want :)

> > What we could do is add an exception clause for Kolourpaint, I think
> > nobody would object to that.
>
> If your answer to 1. is yes, then a loophole for closed-source applications
> would be to "derive" from BSD KolourPaint, just to use the Krita graphics
> library
no, the exception might look like "KolourPaint is allowed to link against
KritaImage, given that it is not a binary only version and that the source
are available under the BSD licence" We might want the input of some "real"
lawyer or from the FSF (maybe they won't agree to help us for that particular
item...). On the other hand that would kill the reason why KolourPaint is
BSD...

--
--- Cyrille Berger ---