The future of selections and masks in Krita

Casper Boemann cbr at boemann.dk
Mon Jul 31 21:39:07 CEST 2006

Hi

Now that our personas are done it's time for the next step in usability for
Krita 2.0, and what's pressing is the future of selections and masks.

We have had some discussion as to what we shall do, and the way to solve this
is to do some usability work.

The question we need to ask ourselves first is: What does the user want to do?

On a tripod Arthur took 3 pictures of the same target with different exposures
and now he wants to blend them together, by taking the best parts of each
photo. He wants to do this blending in a non-destructive manner so he can
experiment. He needs fine control over where the blending occours and by how
much, so access to modifying alphas for blending on a per pixel basis is very
important.

Arthur uses selections to paint a selection around an item and want to reuse
that selection on different layers to create the different types of blending.
Comparing that to todays functionality of a selection per layer, we conclude
that todays functionality might be too complex. Arthur wants the concept of
selection to be easy understandable, as he doesn't care to learn
unconventional things even if in the end they might turn out to be more
powerfull. Ben and Claire might be a bit more willing in this regard, but for
all users it's a question of pro and con. How much do you gain by a
functionality that confuses you. So I think it's safe to say they all want it
to be easy to understand and use.

Another use case against per-layer selection is when the user has created a
selection on the wrong layer (which happens quite often). It will be very
nice to be able to just switch layer and have the selection following along.

Arthur and Ben definitely want to be able to move a selection around without
affecting the underlying image. We even have a bug report for that.

Arthur and Ben want to be able to select something, copy, move, and transform
the selection, and then to do that all over again. Sometimes Arthur and Ben
want to modify some pixels in between.

The solution Bart, Cyrille, Thomas and I have come up with is to have:
  - a single global selection
  - display masks per layer
  - abillity to convert selection to mask and back
  - ability to edit the mask (it's just an alpha colorspace after all)

--
best regards / venlig hilsen
Casper Boemann