How will functions like unsharpen mask be added on?

Larry Marso lmarso at gmail.com
Sat Jan 7 21:16:01 CET 2006

On 1/7/06, Boudewijn Rempt <boud at valdyas.org> wrote:
> > Will there be a way to pass the image through external programs that
> > provide this function like Image or Graphics Magick?
>
> Never thought of doing that... But again, it's trivial to write a KisFilter
> based plugin that reads a layer, filters it through GraphicsMagick and writes
> it back.

It depends on krita's ambitions.  The ability to pipe a layer through
GraphicsMagick or ImageMagick, which each of good lcms profile
support, IIRC, and 16 bit support, would be fantastic and obviate the
need for krita to recreate the wheel on multiple functions.

Importantly, there should be flexibility to access any and all of the
functions these programs permit on the command line.

Although GraphicsMagick has lots of advantages, there seems to be no
progress or plans to support the sweeping capabilities of "-fx" in
ImageMagick, a general purpose very intelligent function language that
is fully layer and color channel enabled.

I don't see the need to write some complex API based interaction here.
 Just a way to pipe a layer in a compatible (profile aware) format
from krita -> Image/GraphicsMagick -> krita.