Cryptic strings in krita.po

Sander Koning sanderkoning at kde.nl
Sat Feb 11 08:59:18 CET 2006

Federico Zenith wrote on 2006-02-11 07:34 +0100 regarding Cryptic strings in krita.po:
> Hi,
> some cryptic strings have recently appeared in koffice/krita.po:
> Cursor Big LB
> Cursor Big LW
> Cursor Big RB
>
> and similar ones. I was wondering what they meant. I thought R and L might be
> Right and Left, B Bottom, but I cannot figure out what W woud then be.
>
> I would suggest adding an explicative comment in the i18n strings.
> (It's i18n( "comment", "Text" ), right?)
>
> Cheers,
> -Federico

Hi Federico,

L and R mean Left and Right, B and W stand for Black and White.
These are names of brushes shaped like a mouse cursor, so arrows pointing one
way or another, and having a certain colour.

(Large) side note and reason for the CC to the Krita ML:

As Dutch team we have decided not to translate them (for now, I can't
foresee how it will be in the future). This because you need the original
English strings to use them in scripting, and for users about the only
reasonable way to find these out is by looking the name up in the program.

The same holds for palettes and gradients, so if this remains so, perhaps we
should not have these translatable at all... Or are there translation teams that
really do want to translate these names? (I can imagine there are.)

Cheers,
--
Sander Koning                       |   sanderkoning - at - kde -.- nl
Documentation coordinator, KDE-NL   |   http://www.kde.nl/