Coding during freeze is like dancing in fetters

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Wed Feb 8 22:16:39 CET 2006

And makes me think of all the cool things I want to implement... So here's my
list of things I really missed today when painting a bit and what I gleaned
from ArtRage. These are things that neeed a new bit of gui, and are real new
features anyway.

* Selections and other layer masks.

Working on the drying code made me aware that I may have chosen the wrong tack
here. I want to do the following: add a number selection-like paint devices
to a given paint device. One of those is the selection: others may be alpha
masks, height fields, wetness fields, slipperyness fields. Those should be
visualized in the layerbox as sub-devices to a paint layer and should be
movable with the move tool when selected, drag & droppable between layers and
painted on when selected in the layer box. That would get rid of many of the
special selection tools in one go and make it very easy to visualize what's
happening to the user. This is more or less what we discussed during the
hackathon, but with some refinements. I'm not sure whether I don't want to be
able to associate a filter with one of these masks after all, either.

* Detach the brush popup

When painting with a tablet, the current brush popup is very annoying.
Besides, I want to be able to quickly pick a new brush to stay in the flow.

* A mixing palette

It's been a long-running wish of mine, but I find that I really need it... I
may finnaly get round to doing one.

* Channel hiding

As discussed above, and I don't care how it's implemented (although I suspect
it would be a lot of work however it's implemented), I want to be able to
show or hide any set of channels inside a layer. What I don't want is to copy
the Gimp's or Photoshop's confusion about channels and masks.

* Take colour from another layer

The colourpicker is nice, but even with the ctrl shortcut, it's no substitute
for being able to designate a layer as a coloursource. You would then be able
to paint strokes on one layer, with the stroke colour determined by the
colour at that x,y on the other layer. Of course, not one on one: I want to
be able to put down my distinctive strokes, with the colour of an underlying
image.

That's it for now, from the Fairy Godmother Incoming Mail dept.