Krita 1.6

Cyrille Berger cberger at cberger.net
Sun Feb 5 23:34:25 CET 2006

Sure Qt4 will bring us a lot of cool things :)

> * Threading. If we want to have a responsive gui even when there's something
>  doing something complicated in another window, we need Qt4's threading
>  support.
> * Blending. If we want functional part layers, we need Qt4
> * Text tool. For a good text tool, we need Scribe, or rather, a kotext
>  based on scribe.
> * OpenGL. If we want to move our OpenGL support forward, we need Qt4.
more than arthur we need real driver for video card, which we won't get before
years, anyway...

> * Dockers. It seems that Qt4 finally solves much of the messed-upness of
> QDockWindow.
> * Anti-aliased hsv color picer. With all the anti-aliased goodness, the
> pixelly-blockiness of the hsv wheel is starting to grate.

And QMeta for scripting ;)

But anyway, whatever we do, as you said, KDE4 won't be release before mid2007,
which will give us a lot of time to work on Ko/krita2 between a 1.6 and
mid2007.

> So: options are:
>
> 1.6, but no core hacking, just fun features and plugins. Release in
> September (which means freeze in July!) 2.0 in parallel.
>
> 2.0, but a quick port followed by a thoughful implementation of new
> features. Freeze in December, release in February, March 2007

I vote for option one, with a small addition : small core modification. I
mean, we wouldn't really need 1.6 without that, with no core change the
playground/graphics/krita-plugins would more than sufficient.

Now the question is what we should consider a small core modification :
- no core refactoring :) (that's easy)
- adding small functions, like those of Michael Thaler (it would apply to
kritacolor too)
- and I would like to add a new kind of iterator (for distortion correction)

As for the real release date, let's wait and see when the real release of KDE4
will happen, I am pretty sure that in July/August of this year we will know
when we can expect KDE4 (if they have taken a decision on the build system by
that time...). I think it should happen something like 6 months before KDE4,
which mean September, if KDE4 is expected for March 2007 (as you said ;) ).

And I am not sure we need two month freezes for a 1.6 release, it will be
mostly plugins, and most of them would have allready been released and test
in krita-plugins.

> Additionally:
>
> Release of Cyrille's cool plugins pack whenever we hit a milestone there.
> Maybe every two months?
Yeah something like that with a one week freeze. That would give us
(considering 1.6 in september and 2.0 in march 2007) :
- end of May : krita-plugins-1.5-1
- end of July : krita-plugins-1.5-2
=> merge in 1.6
- end of November : krita-plugins-1.6-1
- end of January 2007 : krita-plugins-1.6-2
=> merge in 2.0

--
--- Cyrille Berger ---