Krita 1.6

Michael Thaler michael.thaler at physik.tu-muenchen.de
Sun Feb 5 21:29:16 CET 2006

Hi,

I wonder what happens to Krita after KOffice1.5 is released. I personally
would really like to see another (quick release) based on Qt3/kdelibs3.

I understand that many developers want to port KOffice to Qt4/kdelibs4 after
KOffice1.5 is released and I think for apps like KWord it really makes a lot
of sense. But for Krita I am not that sure. There are many features which
could be implemented with Qt3/kdelibs3 quite quickly, e.g. all the selection
functions from gimp or maybe even the siox selection tool (although this will
probably be much more work). I see two main problems if we switch to
Qt4/kdelibs4 right after the release of KOffice1.5. First, kdelibs will be
far from stable which makes development much more complicated because we
probably will have to recompile kdelibs very often. Second, Krita really
became a major app, but some things are still missing badly and if there will
be no new version of Krita for more then a year, we will probably lose some
of the users.

Personally I think it would be a good idea if most of the developers start
working on KOffice2.0. But maybe some people can also work on KOffice1.6.
Maybe koffice libs can stay frozen and it should be only allowed to make
changes to the applications. So one could even release Krita without the rest
of KOffice. Feature freeze could be something like june/july and release date
early september. It will not be possible to add a lot of new features, but
around September kdelibs4 should be stable enough to really develop for it
without recompiling it all the time.

What do you think?

Greetings,
Michael