SIOX

Sander Koning sanderkoning at kde.nl
Sat Feb 4 19:51:24 CET 2006

Michael Thaler wrote on 2006-02-04 19:17 +0100 regarding SIOX:
> So, l, a, b are identical, but the siox tool uses gint cardinality while krita
> uses float alpha. How are they related?

Hi Michael,

I am not sure about the full correctness of my answer. However, given the lack
of information you noticed, I'll give it a try anyway.

The three L*, a*, and b* components are as described in the Wikipedia article
you mention. According to the CIE (ICI), that is all there is to the colorspace.

Krita allows for a alpha (transparency) component.

Now for the fourth component of siox. Having had a look at the source, to me it
occurs that the cardinality component they introduce is some 'counter'
(analogous to the meaning of cardinality in set and graph theory, if you are
familiar with these), indicating the number of elements in some cluster.
Apparently they store the area they are working on in a tree-like structure in
which they want to normalise a couple of values using the cardinality.

I hope you find some of the above useful.

Cheers,

--
Sander Koning                       |   sanderkoning - at - kde -.- nl
Documentation coordinator, KDE-NL   |   http://www.kde.nl/