krita and openexr support?

Kai-Uwe Behrmann ku.b at gmx.de
Thu Dec 21 13:19:32 CET 2006

Am 21.12.06, 12:35 +0100 schrieb Cyrille Berger:

> > There's definitely room for someone who wants to code more support for openexr
> > in Krita -- right now all Krita hackers are pretty busy, and I've sworn to do
> > more on the painting side of krita after the present round of refactoring is
> > done, so there's definitely a vacancy here. (There probably would be a
> > vacancy even if Adrian decides he's had enough of a holiday and starts coding
> > again :-).
> My only plan for OpenEXR is to steal the profile creation code from
> cinepaint (Kai-Uwe Behrmann close you eyes ;p ). For HDR I am more

It is nice to see you use this snippet, making Krita better than
without. Even though writing does not work the same as reading. If your
colours are gamma encoded they will silently be saved as if they are gamma
1.0 encoded in exr.
Example:
tiff float with sRGB profile -> OpenEXR : sRGB primaries, gamma2.2 ignored
Lcms has a gamma extimation function. Possibly this can be utilised to
generate a warning.

> interested (for now) in creating HDR images from LDR bracketing. It will
> be probably my only contribution to photography in krita 2.0 ;)

Well for the layered images it would be fine to give some example exr
files. As the Gtk CinePaint maintainer I'am potentially interessted.
Until your new common format is ready and supported, an alternative seems
most practical.
Hope this is allowed to me as a guest writer.

regards
Kai-Uwe Behrmann
--
development for color management