Image Properties dialog limited to 10000 pix width

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Mon Dec 18 21:06:58 CET 2006

On Sunday 10 December 2006 15:00, you wrote:

> As you might have guessed, I haven't read any documentation about krita
> before starting.. ;-)

Well, that _should_ work. Not that the documentation isn't quite good,
especially for an open source project, with lots of informative little
tutorials and tips :-)

> I'm not familar with internals of krita, so I don't know how merging of
> different layers is handled. My first guess from your explanations is that
> upon rendering (and saving to non native formats) the pixels are converted
> into the "projection color space" and the merging takes place in that
> colorspace?

Yes, that's right.

> Another possibility would be that composition is done in a colorspace that
> is a superset of all layer colorspaces, and converted down to the image
> colorspace afterwards.

We've thought about that, too, but there are problems with that approach,
especially since a colorspace that's a superset of all colorspaces in Krita
would be something like 32-bit XYZ or L*a*b -- and that would make krita eat
a lot more memory than it does now. And if it's to be a superset of the
colorspaces currently in the image, then we need to have a kind of sliding
scale of capabilities.

> Well, logically this feature belongs into the image dialog, however it
> needs some more thinking since many users will probably don't know/have
> forgotten that krita supports layers with different types.

Exaclty. It's not a common feature :-)

> > The options are:
> >
> > * Keep it this way, adding a little bit to the learning curve.
>
> Maybe with some additional description like "final colorspace" or
> "projection colorspace", or something along these lines might make this a
> bit more clear to users that forget about the layer issues etc.
>
> I was only editing a single layer, in that case the projection colorspace
> could be fixed to the layer colorspace.
>
> > * Remove the option to set the colorspace from the image properties
> > dialog and always use the colorspace of the background or bottom-most
> > layer. Make the the colorspace of hte image a read-only label in the
> > image properties dialog. This removes a bit of flexibility, but is easier
> > to grasp.
> >
> > * Move the option to set the image's native colorspace to the color
> > conversion dialog. Make the the colorspace of hte image a read-only label
> > in the image properties dialog
>
> Hmm, might be a better solution, since then the user has to choose which
> colorspace he wants to change. Maybe a radio button to select between
> "convert all layers" and "final image colorspace" would be enough?
>
> Btw. which rendering intents are used for the conversion into the image
> color space?

Good question. I'd need to check the source.