No subject

Tue Dec 5 00:01:22 CET 2006

http://www.gnu.org/software/gcc/projects/tree-ssa/vectorization.html

-ftree-vectorize

then enable the simd extensions (maybe use cmake to check if these are
available? or use a runtime check like they do in mplayer?)

-msse or -msse2 or -msse3 or -maltivec

Then if you want to see what loops are vectorized, and why if they are not

-ftree-vectorizer-verbose=5

It works fairly well on simple loops like I mentioned before. The problem
loops are ones that can escape before some known end, or if there's an
unknown end.

The website has some good examples of what works and what doesn't. Even
for the things that don't work, this doesn't mean that you can't use the
vector operations, it just means they won't be automatically done for you.

GCC has some fairly generic functions that work with sse/altivec and
possibly others. They are gcc specific though. I'm curious to know if
gnome uses the simd instructions at all?

-Tom