Krita, still very buggy

Ronan Zeegers krita at ronanzeegers.com
Tue Dec 5 23:12:19 CET 2006

>> I also have to say that I find the selection system not very convenient.
>> When I work with a selection, I want to have a clear view of my image in
>> the same time. I mean the whole image.
>> The semi transparent mauve color really doesn't help here. It's a cool
>> thing to have when I work on my selection area but not when I work with
>> my selection (i.e. when using the transform tool or brush).
>> The user should be able to switch between dotted lines (I don't think
>> anyone has found a better system right now) and the semi mauve
>> transparent color (maybe without the buggy red line).
>>

> Yes... I think we'll have to bite the bullet and come up with a marching ants
> system, too. Even though Qt4 has made that a lot more difficult for us :-(

The new Qt Arthur thing do not help here?

>> I also didn't find an easy way to deselect. Only a complex shortcut
>> combo or going through the menu. An easier shortcut and a deselect tool,
>> even if it seems stupid, can be a good stuff to have in terms of
>> usability and work speed.
>>

> That's a bit of a problem: ctrl-shift-a is a kde standard shortcut for
> deselect. It's even wider: gimp has the same shortcut. I cannot right now
> test Photoshop or Corel Painter. What do other graphics apps do to make it
> easier to deselect?

I think it's Ctrl+D in photoshop or click (without drag) with a
selection tool on an area outside of the selection. But this last
behaviour is not really the way to go.
A second shortcut (with only 2 buttons) and/or a new bouton/tool to
unselect in the toolbox are the best ideas I have for now.

>> Krita has a really great design and I think it's a sexy project. I
>> really would like to use it daily but all those bugs on basic tools
>> prevent me to do so.
>>

> If you have the energy, don't hesitate to tell us about each and every bug --
> the mailing list is okay for that, no need to fight with bugzilla!

Ok! It's true that bugzilla is not that fastest tool to use. But some
bugs of usability improvement on the mailing list where not take in
consideration.
ie a mail write the 20 sept 2006:

>I've been thinking with a friend of mine (http://www.design-hero.com/)
>about the current arrangement of the icons. And I think it could be
>improved.
>
>Here is my rearrangement proposal of the icons:
>http://www.ronanzeegers.com/krita-ui/Krita-rearrangement-01.png
>
>I have also removed the separator at the bottom of the Toolbar. Usually
>a separator separate from something.
>
>btw, there is a little bug with the vertical size of the magnifying
>glass icon:
>http://www.ronanzeegers.com/krita-ui/ZoomIconError.png
>
>Ronan.

A wiki with all the bugs and behaviour problems can maybe do the job.
I'm not sure what's the best solution.