Eeeeeeeeeeeeek! Now, pay attention...

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Tue Aug 29 19:01:20 CEST 2006

When I came back from a meeting this evening I found a fabulously ill-informed
discussion about Krita and flake and 2.0 in my konversation log. Let me put
you all straight on this subject:

* Krita 2.0 will use KOffice flakes and provide flakes. I'm a true flake
believer, for all my rows with Thomas about what's what!

* The _only_ reason it doesn't already do so is that I was temporarily out of
action. Casper was busy with pigment and after Adrian did the initial porting
on his own, I can well believe he needed a bit of a break. And the rest of
the gang was busy with 1.6.

* Krita 2.0 will in the first instance have a special layer type to
accommodate flakes, just like it now has a parts layer

* Krita 2.0 will provide a single layer flake and an image flake shape

* I'm not clear on how I will integrate Krita's ui -- that is, the toolbox,
access to filters and so on with the flakes, but I'll probably be able to
work something out.

* Flake's event system will handle tablet events with the same precision as
Krita's event system does. If it doesn't yet, then it will.

* The UI issues of Krita 2.0 are partly due to neglect: if we move to the new
toolbox code, we'll have gained a lot.

* The painter issues with Krita are as yet an unsolved problem: Adrian
designed the current system with Qt4 in mind, but an old version of Qt4, and
things may have changed. Maybe we'll need to do a redesign of the canvas.
Maybe not. I've pinged Adrian about this issue, but haven't heard back from
him. If push comes to shove, I'll start doing this myself.

Oh, and as a postscript:

I wanted to port Krita to Qt4 because of:

* true alpha in QImage (which we use for display, for instance)
* Much superior threading support
* Improved dock widgets
* Improved painting system (yes, really, our current code show that we started
in the Qt1.4 days).
* Anti-aliased drawing (i.e, smooth circle for the hsv selector)
* Chance to move some of our generic code up the stack, making it useful for
everyone.
* Not just because that would mean we could mooch a decent text object from
KWord 2.0.

As another postscript:

I think that Krita 1.6 is pretty well finished. Lots of nice new features, it
needs regression testing and stability and then it should be released. And
then the new features can be ported to 2.0 stante pede.