The future of selections and masks in Krita

Thomas Zander zander at kde.org
Tue Aug 1 17:02:08 CEST 2006

Thanks for your email,  sorry for repeating the concept of personas so
much, I believe its the best way to communicate between developers
without going into implementation details very quickly.

I wanted to comment on this one section, though.

On Tuesday 1 August 2006 16:35, Bart Coppens wrote:
> > People probably like long feature lists; but long feature lists do
> > not create happy users that will advertise krita as being cool and
> > good after actually using it. Applications that make a user feel
> > smart will do that. Which needs well designed interaction, NOT more
> > features.
>
> Agreed. Just as long as we don't consider well designed interaction the
> _only_ goal we should program to. Because the application may make the
> user feel oh-so-smart, and have a crystal clear UI and simple to use,
> if it doesn't have the features he actually needs, he won't use it too.

The idea I (and Alan Cooper) have is that an application is better
described by the goals a user has with it then with the features its made
up of.
By this I mean; if a user needs to do something we think about _how_ to do
that. This _how_ are probably features.  So, more usecases can lead to
more features.

So; in my thinking, your paragraph above just means we should design for
that users usecases so he can use it.
--
Thomas Zander