The future of selections and masks in Krita

Thomas Zander zander at kde.org
Tue Aug 1 16:12:46 CEST 2006

On Tuesday 1 August 2006 15:56, Bart Coppens wrote:
> On Tuesday 01 August 2006 15:24, Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
> > True. Insistence on use-cases is something that seems to have
> > happened in the last week or so; before that, we did without.
>
> Yeah I also don't know why they suddenly came up. It's not a bad thing
> per se, because it can add a better focus as to what kind of features
> we can add, but as I said on irc as well, insistence that features only
> get added when they are in line with the personas (which I guess means
> use case here?) (like currently suggested on the personas page) is too
> harsh for me.

If you don't then half of what personas are meant for is thrown away as
well.  Baby thrown out with the bathwater etc..
And we are back to adding features just for the fun or for supporting the
programmer (who is not the user). Which historically has always lead to
applications that do not give the best user experience.
The reason for that is simple; each feature that a user does not need gets
in his way.  If you can not find a persona that actually _uses_ the
feature, then you are just coding for yourself and nobody will like the
application any more because of it. So, while its good for some
programmers ego, it just degraded the app.

People probably like long feature lists; but long feature lists do not
create happy users that will advertise krita as being cool and good after
actually using it. Applications that make a user feel smart will do that.
Which needs well designed interaction, NOT more features.

Maybe you can find that book and read about it to see its some smart guy
who thought this up, and its not just some weird idea I came up with ;)
"The inmates are running the asylum"

Cheers!
--
Thomas Zander