The future of selections and masks in Krita

Thomas Zander zander at kde.org
Tue Aug 1 14:57:14 CEST 2006

On Tuesday 1 August 2006 01:00, Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
> * difference between masks and selections
>
> Actually, there is a relation: both masks and selections (and
> adjustment layers in my original conception and other property
> layers such as wetness, height and gravity) are byte-masks
> that convey a certain property to certain pixels of a layer.

I'm pretty dissapointed that the nicely started thread so quickly moved
into a implementation discussion.

There are no usecases shown where your new model has advantages, you just
tossed out my usecases as something not relevant (I disagree).  And for
other usecases you immediately went into technical details without
looking at what people wanted to accomplish, rendering them useless.

Needless to say; this will not convince me that your ideas on how to do
this are good for Krita and I continue thinking that your solution will
add mental friction which will end up hurting instead of benefitting our
users.

> This is more or less my original conception: I think it's better than
> anything that's currently in existence, that it can be made to work,
> and that it's possible to create a usable user interface for it.

Interaction design comes _before_ the code is written, not after.
--
Thomas Zander