The future of selections and masks in Krita

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Tue Aug 1 00:39:52 CEST 2006

On Tue, 1 Aug 2006, Casper Boemann wrote:

> funny how we then get users comming in to #koffice asking for such
> functionallity

They probably don't know any better. Cannot imagine anything better, either.

<..>

> Sorry I think this idea is so radical that it falls apart trying to integrate
> it with a normal user interface.

Well, excuse me for trying to think outside the Photoshop box... Let's go back
to cloning Photoshop, then, shall we?

> There is nothing here that (calling them) masks wont do just as well without
> confuding the user.
>
> However I do agree that having a global selection and current layer being
> independent is confusing too.
>
> The correct way is offcourse a single global selection tied to a specific
> layer and when clicking on a layer that becomes the selection. Naturally
> explaining that when you don't have a "selection" the entire layer is
> writable, because you have exactly selected  the layer and thereby all of
> it's pixels.
>
> That is the self-consistent way to do it - however some might argue that it
> will make life even more cumbersome (though perhapbs we should indeed take
> this idea and think of adding ways on top to make is usable)

What I want to avoid at all costs is:

* Replace the selection that's been carefully created based on the pixels of
one layer when selecting pixels of another layer.
* Mess up the pixels of layer 2 because the user just created a selection
based on the pixels of layer 1 and only wanted to a quick retouch of layer 2
before going back to layer 1.

That means having selections per layer, not per image.

Boudewijn