LAB Channels type and Babel

Kai-Uwe Behrmann ku.b at gmx.de
Fri Apr 21 12:03:27 CEST 2006

Hello all,

working on CinePaint on printing and grading integration, it was as well
my starting point to develop various colour management tools. They are
partitially available from my website.

My impression was allways to not make colour ranges as specific like
the ranges for channels among traditionalists and colour scientists.
Remember for Cmyk one need the 0...100 range for Lab it is even different
for two channels (L and a+b) including signdness, for XYZ and RGB is 0...1
to be expected.
Different ranges exist in different Lab encodings and bit depths. See the
ICC and Tiff specs. What makes sense from a traditionalists point of view
is pointless for imaging applications. The value ranges are inherited from
very device dependent workflows. I'd like to break with that and did
inside CinePaint.

Such Bable style ranges becomes unmaintainable, or at least hard to keep
in sync and are error proune. As well it introduces a certain overhead
for range conversions and checks. Possibly extra structures are needed to
keep everything in sync. I experienced such things in my early days.
Nearly every developer stepping in this matter is irritated by this.
Thats not good.

My suggestion is to

                          Keep it Simple.

Thus most errors will dissapear. The exeption comes with labeling, for
instance in a curve editor for various channel types. At least the curve
is allways applied the same to the channel data. Only the label must be
set appropriate.

When I start on the CMM code in Oyranos I will keep colour ranges
in the proposed simple model. The only exeption may be fixed point data.

Sorry if my post is a bit long for the first time. But the subject
is going a long way eighter.

kind regards
Kai-Uwe Behrmann
                                + development for color management