koffice/filters/krita/magick

Adrian Page adrian at pagenet.plus.com
Fri Sep 16 16:42:04 CEST 2005

Bart Coppens wrote:
> +        // And there are apparantly attribute iterator functions like above, but not
> +        // in my magick version *sigh*

Is it worth considering replacing ImageMagick with the forked
GraphicsMagick (http://www.graphicsmagick.org/)? Part of their 'mission
statement' is to provide a stable API, unlike ImageMagick. Quoting from
their FAQ:

"1. How does GraphicsMagick differ from ImageMagick?
GraphicsMagick is originally based on ImageMagick 5.5.2. Other than
utilities being executed as sub-commands of the 'gm' command, the
command-line syntax and programming APIs remain entirely upward
compatible with ImageMagick 5.5.2. A better question might be “How does
ImageMagick differ from ImageMagick?” since ImageMagick continues to
alter and evolve its interfaces so they are no longer completely
compatible with earlier versions. While GraphicsMagick also adds new
features, it does so in a way which assures that existing features work
as they did before. GraphicsMagick maintains a stable release branch,
maintains a detailed ChangeLog, and maintains a stable source repository
with complete version history so that changes are controlled, and
changes between releases are accurately described. ImageMagick does not
offer this. Since GraphicsMagick is more “stable”, more time has been
spent optimizing and debugging its code. GraphicsMagick is often faster
than ImageMagick. ImageMagick focuses on adding new functionality and
features."

Adrian