Histogram idea

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Tue Sep 6 19:47:08 CEST 2005

On Tuesday 06 September 2005 19:19, Alan Horkan wrote:

> Would be neat if you could open the dialog as you currently do and provide
> some way to optionally dock it, hiding the standard dialog decorations and
> unneeded buttons.

Well, you can undock & dock any docker, which turns it into a floating dialog.
That should be pretty much enough. I'm all in favour of simplicity (no,
really -- I'm a card-carrying Real User), so I don't like having four ways to
display non modal information about an image or a layer (the current three
being the statusbar, a docker panel and the image itself).

> I'm thinking a bit like how a toolbar can look quite
> different when it is undocked.  If I recall correctly some programs have
> experimented with dialogs which can be docked as toolbars (things like
> Find and Replace, Spellchecking) to avoid them getting in the way.

That's close to what Qt dockers offer. I still need to finish the code for the
library, but soon the docker palettes will be drag & droppable, and will
remember their position across sessions and between showing/hiding them.

I encourage everyone, by the way, to take a look at bibblepro. In many ways
it's a design nightmare, _but_ pro's really love it to death.