Explanation of when to use which scaling fitler

Thomas Zander zander at kde.org
Thu Oct 13 12:17:49 CEST 2005

On Saturday 08 October 2005 19:39, Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
> We could put up this information in our scaling dialog, and even
> better, preselect the right one based on whether we're scaling up or
> down.

I would suggest to put a checkbox there 'auto select best filter' which
will only enable the combobox when unchecked.

We should take a range of images and scale them in various directions and
sizes and create a little matrix based on the results.
I'm thinking along the lines of
- scale up to 125%
- scale up to 200%
- scale up to 5000%
- scale down to 80%
- scale down to 50%
- scale down to 10%

In my experience these various scales need different methods of scaling to
get the best result. I'm guessing different filters will also make a big
difference.
Otherwise you might want to follow an old trick I use to scale images way
up or way down.   a) blur b) scale to 50% c) sharpen d) goto b untill you
reach the required res.

--
Thomas Zander