Layer usuability idea

Mr YouP mr.youp at free.fr
Tue Nov 8 21:49:36 CET 2005

Le Mardi 08 Novembre 2005 13:48, Mr YouP, dans son immense bonté, déclamait :
> Le Mardi 08 Novembre 2005 13:42, Casper Boemann, dans son immense bonté,
> déclamait :
> > On Tuesday 08 November 2005 13:23, Mr YouP wrote:
> > > Ok, I'll try to explain my issue. When I'm painting some precise
> > > details on the edge of a layer, sometime I need to make the curent
> > > layer to be magnified against the others (for example fade or colorise
> > > the other) to see precisly what I'm doing. With softs like gimp or
> > > photoshop, it leads me to create a "dummy" layer fill with a plain
> > > color (say green) that I put right behind my current layer and put it
> > > with less opacity (70% for example) and I also have to hide uppers
> > > layers.
> > > It's a heavy process to have a visual result similar to a selection in
> > > Krita, except that here is not because I may paint some "unselected"
> > > pixels (this sentence isn't clear :/ )
> > >
> > > Well, if it isn't clear, I should give some screenshots
> >
> > well what you want is simply a way to quickly turn of visibility of all
> > but selected layer - right?
>
> No because it leads me to have a background full of big square gray and
> black and I want to see my others layers with a "green filter" (in my
> example) for not loosing my global view of the picture. in short, I want to
> turn all other layers green :)
Well, I auto reply because I made two screenshot of my current work in
progress to explain my thoughts:
http://youp.jexiste.fr/divers/layers_green1.jpg
http://youp.jexiste.fr/divers/layers_green2.jpg

You can see that turn layers green help me to work on the border of the
character's face (which have a color to close to the background)

Maybe the more simple and efficient way to do that is only another way of
display layers, We have "visible", "unvisible", perhaps a "tainted" display
should be interresting (and here the Casper remark is applicable a quick way
to pass all other layers to "tainted" mode)
(And of course tainted color should be change in a similar way that the
selection color is)

Regards.