releasing inplications

Casper Boemann cbr at boemann.dk
Sun Mar 13 13:27:40 CET 2005

Hi all

I have been thinking about our upcoming release. Do we really want to
release.

On the plus side we have:
- user awareness
- bug reports
- attracting developers

On the minus side we have:
- half finished design that would undergo several changes in the next many
releases, meaning fileformat and plugin changes. Backwards compatibillity
would be an issue.
- releasing a bugfilled application - is that a reputation we want
- bug reports that would be outdated almost before releasing
- having to spend time on bugfixes in a release version takes time away from
developing.
- attracting developers - the more we are the less consensus.

So for me the deciding point is what the KOffice team says about us
releasing a "preview" as part of 1.4 without all the obligations of a true
release.

Otherwise I would prefer a simultanious release, but not a true part of KO.

Another point is when the next ko release is scheduled.

best regards / venlig hilsen
Casper Boemann