option panes vs presets

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Wed Jun 22 21:46:26 CEST 2005

As you can see, I've started making the tools work with any and all paintop.
Some paintops won't work that way, e.g., duplicate, because they need some
special interface, but others could make a separate tool obsolete, like
convolve or filter.

Of course, the filter paintop  or the airbrush paintop should be configurable
-- the rate of the airbrush and perhaps some other technical things that
airbrush users know about -- or the actual filter called. Or, in the case
eraser, erase to background or erase to transparent.

There are two ways of going about providing this configurability:

* Allow paintops to add an option pane to the control docker (or even to the
tool option pane directly)

* Create a number of credible presets and present them as different paintops
in the interface. This should be accompanied by an gui that allows creating
different configurations of paintops. This is more or less what the other
paint apps like Corel Painter do.

I tend to towards the second option because that way an artist can keep
certain presents and have them easily available, but the first option allows
for more immediate flexibility.