Scripting

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Mon Jun 6 17:32:04 CEST 2005

On Monday 06 June 2005 12:53, Cyrille Berger wrote:

> Anyway, I think (I might be wrong) scripts are not mean for core developers
> (except for a litlle testing before a C++ implementation), but scripts are
> used for automation, that's where the record is very useful. And the second
> use is for external people who want to add a functionality but doesn't want
> to spend a lot of timelearning the core of krita or doesn't want to learn
> c++.

Indeed. One of the success factors for the Gimp has been the easy
scriptability using scheme, python or perl, making it really easy to add fun
stuff. Does the Gimp or Photoshop have a macro recording facility, by the
way? In any case, there is not much difference between recording a sequence
of commands and writing a script, if the recorder uses the macro language.
Especially because if the sequence of actions becomes complexer than "rotate,
scale to 400x400, sharpen" people will make mistakes and will want to remove
the wrong actions from the recorded script. And then we certainly need some
integrated script editor.

It's a real pity that qsa has a problem with licensing, making it impossible
to write proprietary scripts in it. Not that I care much personally, but it's
against the KOffice vision. Qsa has the editor, the debugger and most of the
infrastructure done.