Scripting

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Mon Jun 6 10:41:59 CEST 2005

On Monday 06 June 2005 10:28, Casper Boemann wrote:

> However lets start by defining what we what krita to do/provide in the end:
>
> - Provide acces to functionallity, ie being able to say load,scale, filter
> and save images from a script.
> - Support an (in theory) unlimited number of languages
> - Allow scripts to be executed from other scripts (cross language), and
> from menus in krita

I'm not sure we really require cross language scripting to be available;
however, we'll need a kind of database with functionality provided by plugins
that can be accessed by scripts anyway, so it should be a simple extension of
that.

Don't forget another important point: scripts must be able to add gui elements
not just to the menu, but also to the dockers and to show dialog boxes.

> is that it. how about:
> - "record" the user actions into any script language?

That's important, too.

> Do we have cases where "like in a texteditor that uses script to provide
> highlighting for different languages". We have such cases but until now
> colorspaces, filters and tools have all been written in C++. Are we moving
> towards allowing those things to be scripted?

Filters and tools, definitely yet. Colorspaces, probably not.

> is this as complex as it gets?

I think it'll be a lot more complex in the end...