Color Spaces - RGB, CMYK, YUV

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Sun Jun 5 19:07:18 CEST 2005

On Sun, 5 Jun 2005, Grzegorz Borowiak wrote:

> On Sun, 5 Jun 2005, Casper Boemann wrote:
>
> > But most users won't use a YUV colorchooser, but hsv or rgb and so you have to
> > convert.
>
> I will need. And many other movie makers will.

I would really want our first plan: KisColor stores the color from the color
selector in the native colorspace that fits the selector best. Colorselectors
can disable themselves if the current layer doesn't mesh. If a near-universal
color selector like hsv doesn't disable itself, then the colors will be
converted from the hsv colorspace to the target colorspace when needed.

In general we need to develop some kind of system that stores ways of moving
between colorspaces, not just between yuv and rgb and things -- but also
because we'll end up with a couple of transforms from rgb to rgb, because of
variant profile configurations. Something like a generic registry of transforms
indexed by srcspace, dstspace, srcprofile, dstprofile and some other parameter
I have forgotten.

Now we need a plan... Now, if you, Grzegorz, begin with his colorspace_yuv module,
you probably won't have much trouble just assuming that the colors you get are
correct, even if they aren't. Casper and me will bicker about KisColor and an
architecture to select transforms and things -- and when you've done the colorspace
itself, you can start on the yuv color selector. We'll make it slot in and make
the whole process work without conversions.

In the meantime, I'll go and write that couple of papers that are due in two weeks,
and enable the layerChanged signal for a better user interface experience.

Boudewijn